STWC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
STWC Forum

The 2011-2012 Sheep Tag World ChaMpiOnShiP forum.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sheep Tag Dieing?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alph4bet

Sheep Tag Dieing? Empty
PostSubject: Sheep Tag Dieing?   Sheep Tag Dieing? EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 6:56 am

To all the kids who are like "Yo mans, Sheep Tag's dieing"
It's dead. Been dead for a long, long time.
"WTF? WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S DEAD?!!?"

When I played there was 15 active clans in USWest at its best.
By active I mean 20 or more players log in daily to play with/against their clan/other clans. Then toward the end of my time(When it was dieing) there was at least 2 in west(ASTC/ANST - before ANST moved to an Australian hosted server), 3 - 4 in East and 4 - 6 in Europe, where all of them were active. Now, there is most likely none in west, none in BA, 2 - 4 in Europe, and One in east that actually matters. Whilst the idiots in east are trying to separate themselves to create another.(YEAH THAT'S WHAT A DEAD COMMUNITY NEEDS, MORE SEPARATION!)...

If you actually want this game to live you need to do at least some of the following:
1. Host public games of sheep tag where there is a time limit set in that game (Make it so that the game ends after 1 or 2 rounds). Use this version as a publicly hosted version, if people want to play sheep tag, they have to play that version, not one that can go forever. If you are to play an in-house then a longer version may be played.
Reasoning: Pre World of Warcraft Sheep Tag was the most popular custom game on battle.net with Dota coming as a close second. Games were hosted where you could only be sheep or Shepherd, you could not be both, therefore had to be rehosted. This brought more players into the community because the game wasn't going to go for 8 rounds. Once Revolution was made where you could play multiple rounds games of sheep tag started decreasing, because the people who really wanted to play were already in a game for a few hours, whilst the rest would settle for something else instead of waiting for it to be hosted again.

2. Get the people who join those games interested by showing them the community, get them in the clans, teach them etc.
Reasoning: The more the user feels welcomed into the game, the more that user will prioritise it ahead of their other duties.

3. Make a map discussion section and actively discuss the making of the map. Whilst making changes to it. Nobody wants to play a game that isn't being constantly improved.
Reasoning: If the user is an advanced user, he/she wants a say to what is integrated into today's game, give them that opportunity and you will fuel their addiction.

4. Have clan wars, get excited to vs each other, don't be afraid to lose, if you lose then you train harder and try and win next time. If the teams are stacked with the best in the community, then lol, that should inspire new people to become the best.
Reasoning: Personal experience, my best times playing sheep tag were when I ran a clan by the name of cAa, I was the best clan at that time in perhaps the world(I never got to vs Europes finest back then). I would battle a few times a day and was unstoppable. I had a team which was stacked. I played in an addictive manner because of my success, I left after people for months refused to war because they got sick of wolfing for 20 being surrounded by farms/humiliated and playing for 5 - 15 mins as Sheep.

5. Have a professional website EG Sheeptag.net, to store an ftp version of sheeptag, to have guides, videos, forum for discussion etc.. Don't add too many features. Also have tournaments(But before you can even have tournaments you need the community to just have wars vs each other and keep a record of each team.
Reasoning: With all other custom games in the past of other clients, they have managed to isolate themselves from the engines main game with this EG: Dota/Counterstrike. Both of those games were once a mod of either Warcraft III or Half life. They are successful in their own right.

When I played I saw what was wrong with the community and attempted to fix it.
1. I constantly hosted a map called Sheep Tag Battle in uswest/ba to try and get Australians interested, Sheep Tag Battle was a map developed by Gosusheep/Chakra which could only go for one round. (You played as sheep, then you switched and played as wolf once your team died).

2. I had turned a community of just myself/three others(Phooey/koala/arksheep), into a community of at least 50 people all from Australia. I had games going every night and had gave lessons to a select few, who would then teach others we recruited. I made it successful enough to have two clans, one lead by me, the other lead by Deadlysheep. Unfortunately because sheep tag was dieing and my interest in DOTA had peaked, I had stopped my activity, and with that the Australian sheep tag community died.

3. With the help of Brandon, Chakra and Gosu I had acquired server space(Fully paid for by myself, still being hosted) to attempt to add a  professional look about Sheep Tag(I was never able to find a good graphics person to create appropriate graphics for sheep tag). However I did get Brandon to add many features to the website, We had a tutorial/fact section. A video section. A forum which was split into a map discussion section, where the discussion was lead by the map makers at the time Gosu and chakra. I also gave them admin rights as to cater to their needs. A tournament/ladder section.
Unfortunately the way I went about this part failed us. Sheep tag at the time was extremely political, you had to satisfy all the political heads needs. I failed to do so, got tired of the politics, and had matters in my personal life to attend to, when I had returned the forum was nearly dead and people had moved onto another forum.

What I'm currently willing to do for the community:
Nothing.

This may change in the future once I have developed a working CMS(Currently working on one), I would be willing to set the community website up where you will have a friendly yet professional user interface.
At the moment I am still hosting the space Chatcraft.net, but it is no different than being here so no use moving back unless you guys are willing to code the website to your own needs.

Here is a question I pose to this generation of Sheep Taggers:
What are you willing to do?
Back to top Go down
Alph4bet

Sheep Tag Dieing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep Tag Dieing?   Sheep Tag Dieing? EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 am

@People who feel the need to post "THESE ARE THE BEST IN DE WORLD" topics.
In a successful gaming community it should be obvious. Which ever team is doing the best, obviously contains the best team work, those players are obviously without a doubt the best Team mates to play with. Therefore, are indisputably ranked the highest. Only in situations where two teams will win against each other even amounts of time can it be disputed, and those individuals will let their skills do the talking, not their mouths. Otherwise they are talking the talk, without walking the walk.

@The people who want a stand a lone sheep tag game. All successful games need a story-line behind the concept. Sheep Tag is a childish story-line, come up with one which works and then post it to programmers like like Chakra.
Back to top Go down

Sheep Tag Dieing?
Page 1 of 1